12 July 2012

Crossroads



I assumed that once my newest short story had been submitted for the second Evernight book, and once my novel (The Mercenary) sent off to the publisher,  I would be able to relax. How wrong I was. I cannot deny that I experienced a sense of the weight of the world being lifted from my shoulders once those two journeys, one small and one extensive, had come to an end. But the sensations of floating, and perhaps even "Whatever will I do next" barely even registered.

The ideas trying to burst forth as we speak, all trying to push each other aside to gain priority in my mind? That is what it means to be a writer. Regardless of how many things you have published or even if you have published at all, being a writer means that there is no beginning nor end to the journey, only stops along the way. I have come to an intersection of sorts, and have a decision to make. The question is not "Whatever will I do next?" The question is in fact: "Out of the pandemonium in my head, which idea will I choose to focus on?"

I already have a number of chapters written for the sequel to The Mercenary. After careful thought I have decided it needs a good deal of rearranging before I will write anything further on it, but now that I have both my submissions handed over to the appropriate people, my brain is ready to tackle this project once more. I feel refreshed and positive about how the second book is looking, and I cannot wait to work on it. As for the other ideas rolling around in my head... we will just have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment