16 October 2013

Author Interview - Wendy Schuffert


Please welcome Author Wendy Schuffert to the interview seat!

1. Have you always had a passion for writing? 

Yes, I have. It all started when I started reading R.L. Stine when I was younger & I realized that is what I wanted to do.

2. Does what you read influence what you write and what are some of your favourite authors/books? 

Yes. I read a lot of male/male manga, novellas & young adult books. And it got me wanting to write that myself, but I’ve always wanted to write young adult. Some of my favourite authors include R.L. Stine, Lynn Flewelling, L.J. Smith. Yamila Abraham as for books…I have so many favourite books by R.L. Stine, it’s not even funny, Nightrunner Series by: Lynn Flewelling (her series got me wanting to publish male/male books), Forbidden Games by: L.J. Smith & The Vampire Diaries by: L.J. Smith. I even love Japanese manga where my favourite manga-ka Makoto Tateno got me wanting to publish male/male stuff as well.

3. What are your biggest inspirations? 

My biggest inspirations have to be Japanese rock singer Kyo of the band Dir en Grey, actor Rob Lowe & the Original Incredible Hulk himself Lou Ferrigno. Why? Because I am half deaf (with other medical problems & disabilities). I’m completely deaf in my left ear & have possibly about 75% of hearing in my right ear and those 3 men have shown me that even though I’m hearing impaired I can still do what I want to do. Because those 3 men are hard of hearing as well & I owe them a BIG thank you.

4. Do you have a technique in how you choose characters and/or locational settings? 

Actually I don’t most of the time. Sometimes the characters just come to me & sometimes they come from being modelled after people and for the locations. For the longest time I never set my stuff in a certain spot. I’m from California in the States and I now use that for my characters or I’ll use my own world I created for my demons.

5. Do you listen to music while you are creating your masterpieces? 

Sometimes I listen to music and it’s usually Japanese rock/Visual Kei bands, but I mostly watch TV as I write.

6. What do you do to stay motivated and avoid writer’s block? 

I read, watch true crime shows. I get ideas from just about anything.

7. How has becoming a published author (independent or traditional) changed your perspective on life and is it everything you expected it to be? (If you are not published yet – what changes do you foresee?) 

As of this moment my novella is in the middle of getting published. It is in line to be edited, but I am part of a charity anthology called Shades of Pink that will feature a short story I did for it called Pink Rose. I’m not really sure what to expect yet.

8. What are your biggest challenges as an author? 

Trying to work on other stuff. My first novella is part of a series & I’m really trying to get the second novella finished right now.

9. Do you have any pets? 

Yes. I have 4 cats. Oldest girl is Lizzie, second oldest is a boy Snoop Katt, third is a boy Neko Mana & fourth is a girl named Princess Icy Miku & 2 dogs both girls named Maggie Mae & Lacee No Name
10. What hobbies do you have outside of reading and writing? 

My other hobbies include, reading, poetry, watching anime, reading manga, cross stitching.

11. Where is the most exciting/memorable place you have been in the world? 

Hmmm…No place yet

12. Tell us about your latest work in progress or most recent published work… 

I write under the name Perci T. Brooks and currently I am working on my Beloved Series and I am part of the Shades of Pink charity anthology that is a $5 donation for Breast Cancer. I am very glad to be part of that. 

Of course everyone can go to my author page for more info at https://www.facebook.com/PerciTBrooks

No comments:

Post a Comment