20 November 2013

Interview Leigh SC Johnson



Have you always had a passion for writing?

Yes, I have always had a passion for writing. Throughout my school years the most writing my teachers got out of me was writing whether essays or short stories in English class.



Does what you read influence what you write and what are some of your favourite authors/books?

I think what I read does influence me to a degree. My favourite authors include Sherrilyn Kenyon, Keri Arthur, Torie James and Perci T. Brooks among others.


What are your biggest inspirations?

I find inspiration in something as simple as a phrase or songs. There's is nothing in particular that inspires me.


Do you have a technique in how you choose characters and/or locational settings?

I don't know about techniques, however, my characters introduce themselves to me and tell me about themselves. As for locations, I use places I know or that interest me.


Do you listen to music while you are creating your masterpieces?

I need to have some sort of background noise but I write best to music. Particularly a playlist compiled by the main character of my WIP.


What do you do to stay motivated and avoid writer’s block?

My motivation is nothing more than wanting to prove to myself that I can accomplish my dream of being able to write something that is suitable for publishing. Other than looking at things from a different angle and talking things out with my characters I don't really have ways of avoiding writer's block and it has plagued of often while I work on my first book.


How has becoming a published author (independent or traditional) changed your perspective on life and is it everything you expected it to be? (If you are not published yet – what changes do you foresee?)

I am currently unpublished but I am hoping that in 2014 that will change.


What are your biggest challenges as an author?

My biggest challenge is having the faith in myself to do this. As someone with low self-confidence I am struggling quite a bit.


Do you have any pets?

I have one cat called Stryker. He has been with me just over a year now and his company stopped me from going crazy when I first got him.

What hobbies do you have outside of reading and writing?

Outside of reading and writing I enjoy drawing, singing, listening to music, doing cross stitch (designing and making bookmarks and small pictures) and spending time with friends.

Where is the most exciting/memorable place you have been in the world?

The most memorable place I have been to was Gran Canaria. It was a family holiday when I was 16 and it was the best holiday I've had in my life.

Tell us about your latest work in progress or most recent published work…

My latest work... my first work... is a piece called What the Darkness Brings. It is about a girl who is the only non-human born to a human family. Her differences have always confused her and she has wondered if she is different for a reason or if things had just got messed up. When her twin sister and grandfather a killed things start to spiral out of control and while she learns the truth of herself, she starts to lose herself. She must face an unknown enemy in a battle to the death, the result of which the fate of the world relies on.

You can find Leigh on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment