9 April 2014

Author Interview Pelaam



Please welcome Pelaam to my blog today for this week's author interview!


1. Have you always had a passion for writing?


Yes. I can remember writing fantasy stories before I was seven years old. I could be happily left to my own devices for hours on end with pencil and paper. Even then I was writing fantasy stories.

2. Does what you read influence what you write and what are some of your favourite authors/books?

Sometimes I may get inspiration from something I read, but my inspiration can be a sentence, or a picture, or a song. I love Watchers, Shadowfires, and Strangers by Dean Koontz. Midworld, Nor Crystal Tears, and Cachalot by Alan Dean Foster. I grew up with Tolkien and Conan Doyle, and a more obscure writer Jeffery Farnol


3. What are your biggest inspirations?
Obscure folk and fairy tales, pictures and suggestions from friends and readers, and song lyrics. Even if the lyrics aren’t obvious. One of my books was inspired by a single line in an obscure folk tale, another by a single image. I have a couple in progress inspired by song lyrics.


4. Do you have a technique in how you choose characters and/or locational settings?

I tend to ‘picture’ a couple, then decide their personalities and quite often will reflect that in the name I give them. I have set some in New Zealand. Sometimes once that’s all mapped out, a particular place will stand out.


5. Do you listen to music while you are creating your masterpieces?

Unlike many of my friends, I find music too distracting. I have a collection of DVDs that I’ve watch many, many times. These include my favourite cartoon character Scooby Doo, Columbo, the old b&w Sherlock Holmes and Miss Marple films. These can play and when I look up, I know exactly where I am in the movie.


6. What do you do to stay motivated and avoid writer’s block?

I work on several WIPs at a time. If things slow for one, I switch to another. That way I’m not fretting over progress. That’s also the time I’ll read to relax.

7. How has becoming a published author (independent or traditional) changed your perspective on life and is it everything you expected it to be? (If you are not published yet – what changes do you foresee?)

I love being published. I’ve always enjoyed writing, and would repeatedly fill journals with stories that never saw the light of day by anyone but me. I enjoy interacting with readers and fellow writers, and discovering that we share so many traits.
8. What are your biggest challenges as an author?

Trying to keep my writing fresh, and come up with new ideas.

9. Do you have any pets?

Not at the moment, but I’m a huge doggy fan. As and when we get our own home – we currently rent – I’d love to have dogs around the house again.

10. What hobbies do you have outside of reading and writing?

I’m a foodie and a wine buff. I love cooking, reading cook books, and trying new foods. I belong to a wine club, and enjoy wine tastings, although my palate is more food orientated. My favourite wine is Chablis, and my ultimate comfort food is mac ‘n’ cheese.

11. Where is the most exciting/memorable place you have been in the world?

The most memorable place was Athens. As a child I loved reading about mythology and especially the Greek gods, goddesses, heroes, and creatures. It was amazing to visit places like the Acropolis.

12. Tell us about your latest work in progress or most recent published work…

My most recent work (release date 11 April) is with Breathless Press http://www.breathlesspress.com/ and is titled “Breath of the Feathered Serpent.”  You can buy it here!

It’s m/m, cowboy, steampunk, with a special little twist.

My main character Adam is a Federal Marshal sent undercover with his partner to find and return an ancient emblem of power, the Breath of the Feathered Serpent, to an Aztec prince and prevent war.

During the investigation, he meets Elijah, an incredibly attractive young rancher, who is also a suspect.

Adam has to deal with his own doubts and insecurities as well as face a ruthless and deadly human adversary, and an emblem with power of its own.

You can find Pelaam on Facebook and Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment