Please to welcome Author L.S. Broomfield to the blog today!
1. Have you always had a passion for writing?
I have always been a child that has wanted to write something, anything. Whether it is cooking up little plays showcasing the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew or just silly things that amused me or bothered me at the time.
2. Does what you read influence what you write and what are some of your favourite authors/books?
I think everything around us whether it is something we read, watch, hear or just see affects us as writers and people in general. Currently, my favourite author is Abbi Glines and the book of hers that I love is “Fallen too Far”.
3. What are your biggest inspirations?
Gosh, I would have to say in terms of writing it would have to be pictures. That’s what currently inspires me the most. But in my life, my family and friends inspire me.
4. Do you have a technique in how you choose characters and/or locational settings?
Not really, I just let my mind wander and where ever it decides to stop I just run with it. When it gives me an ‘ah-ha’ moment then I just roll with it. It is a lot of just instinct for me. Whether that is eyes, dialect, culture, etc. I picture my character and then let them tell me.
5. Do you listen to music while you are creating your masterpieces?
Sometimes, depending on the scene I am writing yes, I listen to music. If it is a highly intense scene for either romance, grief or rage, music is playing.
6. What do you do to stay motivated and avoid writer’s block?
Well, I think writer’s block and writer’s discouragement are always a part of the journey when writing. The important thing to remember is it is okay to step away for a while. It is okay to close out your document and work on something new.
7. How has becoming a published author (independent or traditional) changed your perspective on life and is it everything you expected it to be? (If you are not published yet – what changes do you foresee?)
I am self published as well I will have a traditionally published e-book out this fall with my good friend Ashley Nemer. Self publishing has certainly changed my perspective in that I have realized that yes writing the story is a huge battle but it certainly is not the war. Marketing and finalizing the document in a vast array of ways is huge and I wasn’t prepared for how big that aspect would be.
8. What are your biggest challenges as an author?
Biggest challenge by far is finding the time to do what I need to do. That can be either writing, marketing, editing or just being active on my blog, twitter and facebook. It is a full-time job in itself so when I all ready have a full-time job outside of writing it becomes a very big hurdle especially with a family too.
9. Do you have any pets?
10. What hobbies do you have outside of reading and writing?
I love spending time with my kids. I know most parents may say that but I have to say I have some pretty cool kids. They’ve given me the hardest but by far the most rewarding job ever—A mom. So hobbies, watching TV with my teenage son – we have specific shows we just have to watch together. Watching movies with my youngest son and just chilling out talking with my daughter. I’m blessed but yes, I can honestly say I have some very cool kids.
11. Where is the most exciting/memorable place you have been in the world?
By far the most memorable was my EF School Tour to Europe in 1992. I was in grade 9 and we travelled to England, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland and Amsterdam. It was so rich in culture, the food was different. Everything was so different and even now 21 years later it has left a lasting impression.
12. Tell us about your latest work in progress or most recent published work…
My most recent published work is my novella, Cruentus: Rise to Power. A story of magical beings and the Cruentus family in the late 1800’s that proves the struggle for power has been an battle that time has given no restrictions. It is currently available in e-book and paperback through amazon.
You can buy Cruentus: Rise to Power here!
My current works in progress is Cruentus Book 2 Dragos Cruentus’ journey and another currently called “Blake and Ashton” to be later renamed.