31 July 2013

Author Interview - Andrea Boyde


Please welcome Author Andrea Boyde to my blog today!

1. Have you always had a passion for writing? 

Definitely. From a young age I can remember writing all sorts of stories and poems, many of which I still have.

2. Does what you read influence what you write and what are some of your favourite authors/books?  

My dreams tend to be my biggest influences. Although my latest piece was inspired by something my sister said to me. As for favourite authors, Edger Allan Poe, Dean Koontz, J.K Rowling and J R R Tolkien. I do read a great deal of historical books too.

3. What are your biggest inspirations?
Life is my biggest inspiration. The ups and downs it can throw at you and the lessons you learn during the hardest times.
4. Do you have a technique in how you choose characters and/or locational settings?

 I had to laugh when I read this because I don't. They just kind of pop into my head and, if it feels right, I go with it.

5. Do you listen to music while you are creating your masterpieces? 

Always. What I listen to depends on what I am writing. Can be anything from Classical to Rock or Pop to Alternative.

6. What do you do to stay motivated and avoid writer’s block? 

I belong to Toastmasters and have found it a great way to keep the old creative juices flowing.

7. How has becoming a published author (independent or traditional) changed your perspective on life and is it everything you expected it to be? (If you are not published yet – what changes do you foresee?)

 I think the biggest thing for me will be the acknowledgement that comes with being published. It's all well and good thinking to yourself that you can write, but when someone else thinks the same and publishes your work, that would be amazing!

8. What are your biggest challenges as an author?

 Believing in my ability would be the biggest. Self doubt is a huge thing for so many people and I think you just have to try and push that aside and believe in what you do.

9. Do you have any pets?

 I'm smiling right now. I have 3 cats, one of whom has inspired me to write a children's book.

10. What hobbies do you have outside of reading and writing?

 Walking is the biggest. It's a great way to clear the old cob-webs. Also make Jewellery and have recently caught onto the whole Steampunk thing. (It's loads of fun)

11. Where is the most exciting/memorable place you have been in the world?

 There are so many places I would love to go to, so am certain this will change one day, but the most memorable has to be up the top of the Mountain in the town I grew up in. Hadn't been there since I was young and a group of us went up last year. Stunning views and a wonderful day filled with memories. You can't get better than that.

12. Tell us about your latest work in progress or most recent published work…

 My latest work is called George the Dragon and was inspired by something one of my sisters said. It actually started as a bit of fun, but ended up more than that and I am so incredibly proud of it. While it is primarily a Fantasy piece, there are a few life lessons thrown in there. It's a story of love, adventure, friendship, loss and giving others a second chance. I have been posting it on its own Facebook page chapter by chapter over the last couple of months and am reaching the conclusion. Mind you, the idea of letting go of the characters is hard so will have to write some other tales.

You can find info on George the Dragon here!


No comments:

Post a Comment