24 July 2013

Author Interview - Torie James







Please welcome Author Torie James to my blog today for this weeks interview!


1. Have you always had a passion for writing? 

Absolutely! Since before I could even write legibly (although that’s still up for debate!), rumor has it I loved paper and pens.

2. Does what you read influence what you write and what are some of your favourite authors/books? 

I think it definitely seeps into the subconscious and can be right there on the the edge of my mind when I’m writing. But I also like pushing outside the box and seeing how far I can take it. I have way to many favored authors (such as my lovely hostess here!) to list. Same with books. But at the moment? I’m reading Philippa Gregory’s “Queens” books again. She’s amazing with blending historical fact and her own unique imagination.

3. What are your biggest inspirations? 

My family and closest friends. Every single day they amaze me and it just pushes me to reach higher myself.

4. Do you have a technique in how you choose characters and/or locational settings? 

The characters literally speak to me when their time comes. It’s this amazing birth process that always takes me by surprise. And they’re bloody persistent! As for my settings, I’ve had the pleasure of travelling various places in the past and trying to place my characters in those places since I’ve been there. However, at times, I’m challenged to pick places I’ve never been, but that’s fun as well. I’m a research nerd. And happily so!

5. Do you listen to music while you are creating your masterpieces? 

I have to. It’s a requirement from my muse. I love creating my own “soundtracks” based on my characters personalities, although it sometimes comes back to haunt me when one will choose a genre I don’t particularly care for. But we make it work!
6. What do you do to stay motivated and avoid writer’s block? 

I immerse myself entirely in the world I’m creating. I am uber prepared before I even begin to write. I have certain avatars in mind for my characters, I make small folders up with pictures and make it part of my desktop to look at. That helps a lot. Or simply researching even the smallest things keep my interest focused and my mind sharp. When I get writer’s block, I don’t try to write through it. Or force it. When my muse is tired and stop cooperating, I simply shut down right away any and all book related things and do something else. Usually find new music OR play with photo programs. Once I’m firmly entrenched in some other pursuit is generally when the block perversely lifts.

7. How has becoming a published author (independent or traditional) changed your perspective on life and is it everything you expected it to be? (If you are not published yet – what changes do you foresee?) 

Things have definitely picked up lately all around and I’m experiencing things I’ve only dreamed of until now. I’ve had the pleasure of having a poetry anthology called “Whispers in the Dark” self published along with Ashley Nemer and Stacy Moran not too long ago. Terrific ladies, amazing writers and my friends to boot. I’m horrible with business honestly and pretty much let Stacy and Ashley to take care of that side of it which they did wonderfully. And even more recently, my debut novel, Timeless Night, was picked up by Breathless Press for publication. It’s been a whirlwind of activity between edits and taking care of the “business” side as well but I’m managing to not lose my mind. I wouldn’t trade one moment of the journey to get to where I am now. I’m sure there’ll be changes, little ones are happening already and while I can’t predict the outcome, I’m just going to buckle up and enjoy the ride while I can. I spent my whole life dreaming this. And now, I woke up to find its my reality.

8. What are your biggest challenges as an author? 

Second guessing myself. I do it daily and it’s detrimental as hell. I have to fight demon of doubt and there are days I only come out barely alive, so to speak.

9. Do you have any pets? 

Sure do! Four cats and two dogs that run our house. The cats, of course, only let the dogs think they’re in charge.
10. What hobbies do you have outside of reading and writing?

Bowling, collecting movie posters (with a heavy emphasis on horror) and swords, daggers, those types of things.

11. Where is the most exciting/memorable place you have been in the world? 

I stood on the peak of Ben Nevis, the tallest mountain in the Scottish Highlands and watched the sun rise. Absolutely beautiful and breathtaking. One day, I’ll make it back!

12. Tell us about your latest work in progress or most recent published work…



Holy Choco! I could fill pages and pages about Timeless Night but I’ll try to condense as best I can! I took the tales of Excalibur, Arthur, Camelot and such and refashioned them a bit differently. What if these people and things DID exist but not quite the way that “history” has painted them? Alex Lakeland and Sabrina Foxworth are my main two protagonists and they have a past that only Alex knows about at first. Let’s just say meeting Sabrina forces Alex to reassess his outlook about everything. However, the more things change, the more they stay the same in the most unalterable ways. I’m excited to be able to share my baby with the world soon!



If anyone would like to visit me, I’d love to meet you! And Johanna, THANK YOU for having me for a visit! Rock on!

You can find me at Facebook, Twitter, Website, Amazon and Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment