7 November 2012

Sisterhood of the Travelling Blog - ROUND TWO!


Wow, can you believe it has already been a week since our last round of the travelling blog? Well here we go with another collection of fantastic blogs from those same nine authors. Today on my blog we are featuring an interview from author Sherrie Henry! Don't forget to go and check out the other blogs too, they should be up within the next 24 hours or so. (Links to those pages to follow the interview)

Interview with Sherrie Henry
7 November 2012

1. What made you start writing and which subject matter do you enjoy the most?

I started writing in high school, taking a creative writing class. This was back even before computers were household items, so most of my early stuff is handwritten. My undergrad is in English, so honed my writing skills doing essays and reviews. In grad school, I got into fan fiction (that’s when the internet really took off), then my last semester of grad school I got the beginning of a novel in my head that needed to come out – during finals week no less!

I didn’t do much more than fan fiction for a few years until I met Allison Cassatta in 2011. I showed her a short story I’d written back in grad school; she liked it, even showed it to her publisher. Her publisher liked it and asked me to flesh it out and submit it. That was my first stand-alone story, “Twenty-Four Hours.” Since then have been published in two anthologies “Evernight” and “Evernight Vol. 2.” Plus working on a story for National Novel Writing Month, and have a lite novel in the editing process. Quite a lot for a short span of time.

My favorite subject matter is romance, between any two people in any time or place.

2. Is there anything that you write about that can be controversial?

My most recent one “Last of the Summer Tomatoes” is a M/M romance story. Some people don’t like gay romance, so that can be controversial. I think if two people love each other, the gender shouldn’t matter. Heck, my lite novel “A Wolf’s Bane” is a werewolf love story between a werewolf and a human, so I guess species doesn’t matter either.

3. What inspires you to write and how often do you do it?

Music can inspire me, as do pictures. I do get a lot of inspiration from my dreams; I have a very vivid imagination. I don’t write as often as I want as I’m working 3 jobs right now, but maybe some day writing can be a part-time job for me.

4. If you could only take one book with you for the next year what would it be and why?

Hmmm, that’s a toughie. I guess it would have to be Tolkein’s “Lord of the Rings” – each time I read it I find something new. Plus it’s huge, so it would take me a while to get through it, probably enough time for the year to be over and I can choose again!

5. Is there a particular character of yours that you like more than the rest?

Not really. Each character I write has a special place and a special meaning to me.

6. Who is your favorite fictional character and why?

I don’t have a favorite fictional character. I have over 1000 books, most in the fiction genre, so I couldn’t even begin to pick a favorite. I do have a couple of favorite series: the Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward and the Harry Potter series by Rowling.

7. What age did you start reading, did you have a favorite children’s book?

I was reading real early; before I went to kindergarten (which was a complete bore and waste of time, but I digress). Judy Bloom was probably the first author I ‘followed’; she’s probably the quintessential author for young girls. I went straight from her to the Star Wars novels; my reading comprehension was about 11th grade when I was in 5th grade.

8. What's the best part of being an author?

Sharing my stories with others. Learning from other authors, becoming a better writer. I like it when someone can relate to one of my characters.

9. If your current book (published or work in progress) could become a movie who would star in it?

I think ‘A Wolf’s Bane’ would make a great movie, but as for casting it, I would have no clue. I don’t really follow actors that much, with the exception of Hugh Jackman. But he wouldn’t be a fit for the story; a little too old. I like Robert Pattinson’s look, he’d make a good Kai with a little more muscle on him.

10. Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now, writing wise?

I’d like to have a couple of lite novels (around 45,000 words) under my belt, maybe a couple of novellas and short stories. I’ve got about 8 works in progress on my computer, each a vastly different idea/genre. I’m not in this to become famous, just doing it as a hobby, share my wacky ideas with the world. Although it is nice to go to Amazon, type in my name and see my stories. Warm and tingly inside. LOL

11. Anything extra you want to add….

I’d like to thank Ashley Brown for putting all this together. I think it’s wonderful we all can share each other’s work and thoughts. I’d also like to tell any aspiring writers out there to go for it! You never know where your ideas will take you.


Ashley Nemer  (My blog post will be here this round)



No comments:

Post a Comment